Research in the area of communication networks should develop following areas:
- Wired communication networks, which are the core of the networks including Internet. The main interest here is to Ethernet technologies, Optical communication, but also routing and switching
- Wireless technologies going from WiFi through Internet of Things technologies (e.g. LoRa) to mobile networks. The latest submit-ted project is oriented to 5G networks.
- Architecture for efficient content delivery - Content Delivery networks - CDN and advanced architectures based on Software De-fined Networking - SDN and IP Multimedia Subsystem - IMS. The delivery in efficient manner includes virtualization using Network Function Virtualization - NFV.
The topic along whole research is security, which is omnipresent in ICT. Formal approach used for research includes mainly graph theory and Petri Nets.
Content delivery, Internet of Things, Mobile Networks, Open Networking Foundation, Software Defined Networking, Network Function Virtualization, 5G ecosystem
|Research interest lies at network performance, including NGN architecture, wireless and mobile networking, Internet of Things and Future Internet, security. In his research, he focus on architecture approach and system performance using Markov Chains and Petri Nets.He has been author and co-author of more than sixty scientific papers and leads and participates on several international and national research projects.
Research interest lies at Software Defined Networking and its application in IoT, transport protocols performance in wireless (and satellite) networks, and traffic routing optimisation in IoT.
|Research interest lies at digital-systems design automation, system-level specification, power optimization and estimation, and low-power communications connected with the Internet of Things.
Research interest lies at Soft-ware Defined Networking, network design and management, and routing optimization in communication networks..
Selected recent publications
- LEVY, David - KOTULIAK, Ivan.
WLAN Power saving using packet overhearing reduction.
Telecommunication Systems. Vol. 61, iss. 1 (2016), pp. 43-57. ISSN 1018-4864.
- LEVY, David - KOTULIAK, Ivan - TRÚCHLY, Peter.
WLAN performance improvement by header compression and packet overhearing reduction.
Journal of Electrical Engineering. Vol. 65, no. 4 (2014), pp. 203-212. ISSN 1335-3632.
- BINDER, Andrej - BOROS, Tomáš - KOTULIAK, Ivan.
A SDN Based Method of TCP Connection Handover.
Information and communication technology : Third IFIP TC 5/8 International Conference, ICT-EurAsia 2015, and 9th IFIP WG 8.9 Working Conference, CONFENIS 2015, Held as Part of WCC 2015, Daejeon, Korea, October 4-7, 2015, proceedings. 1. vyd. Cham : Springer, 2015, pp. 13-19. ISBN 978-3-319-24314-6.
- BURDA, Kamil - NAGY, Martin - KOTULIAK, Ivan.
Reducing Keepalive traffic in software-defined mobile networks with port control protocol.
Information and communication technology : Third IFIP TC 5/8 International Conference, ICT-EurAsia 2015, and 9th IFIP WG 8.9 Working Conference, CONFENIS 2015, Held as Part of WCC 2015, Daejeon, Korea, October 4-7, 2015, proceedings.
- NAGY, Martin - KOTULIAK, Ivan.
Utilizing Open-Flow, SDN and NFV in GPRS core network.
Testbeds and Research Infrastructure: Devel-opment of Networks and Communities : 9th International ICST Conference, TridentCom 2014,
Guangzhou, China, May 5-7, 2014, Revised Selected Papers. 1. vyd. Cham : Springer, 2014, pp. 184-193. ISBN 978-3-319-13325-6.
- ORTIGOSA, Fernando - FERNANDEZ, Sergio - MARIN, Andres - PROSEPIO, Davide - IRIBARND, Borja - ORMAETXEA, Itziar - KOTULIAK, Ivan - KOVÁČIK, Tomáš - MIKOCZY, Eugen - LAHNALAMPI, Timo - KOSKI, Timo - HAKALA, Piritta.
Interoperability among different IMS cores.
Testbeds and Research Infrastructure: Development of Networks and Communities : 9th International ICST Conference, TridentCom 2014, Guangzhou, China, May 5-7, 2014, Revised Selected Papers. 1. vyd. Cham : Springer, 2014, pp. 753-764. ISBN 978-3-319-13325-6.
Important recent research results and research projects
- FP7 research project Hybrid Broadband Broadcast - Next (HBB-Next)
- Multimodal Interaction Robot-Human using Cloud Ressources, ongoing, National APVV project
- Methods and algorithms for improving efficiency and multimedia content delivery in IP networks, ongoing, national VEGA project
- Pilot implementation and integration. Example is Virtual Customer Premises Equipment (vCPE) - SDN based CPE pilot project with telecommunication operator designed and proof-of-concept solution by the team of FIIT STU (including professors, PhD students and master students).
- Courses usually based on latest research (SDN, NFV), but also on CISCO Networking Academy courses.
- Joanna Tomasic, SUPELEC France
- Robert Bestak, FEL CVUT, Czech republic
- Yevgenij Koutcheriavy, University of Tampere, Finland
- Cisco Networking Academy equipment
- 2G GPRS access and core
- LTE Access and Core
- SDN simulated environment
- CDN installations